Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Man vs Beast


I'm all for the sanctity of life on the planet and was a big fan of All Creatures Great And Small when I was growing up, but there comes a time when you have to draw a line in the sand. For me that time was a couple of weeks ago. One morning I opened one of my kitchen cupboards to discover that a rat had eaten most of the organic arborio rice I had received as a gift from Australia. That was just taking things a little too far. James Herriot be damned, this called for revenge!

Today, after a couple of failed attempts, I achieved victory! I arrived home to discover that I caught one of the little foul rice-eating buggers in my trap. My secret: the sacrifice of a small slice of good quality Romano cheese (these are obviously rats with taste, they went for the organic rice after all).

In spite of my victory it seems the rest of the population have decided to crank things up a notch or two. I've just been out to dinner and returned home to find a significant amount of rat poo around the kitchen. I may have won the battle but it seems the war rages on.

No comments: